Compare Insurance Rates & Save

Ohio Insurance (OH)

Ohio Auto Insurance -- Everything You Want To Know
The state of Ohio does not need drivers to get their cars insured. However, Ohio entails you to have a definite way to compensate for injuries or damages that are outcomes of your carelessness or the slackness of anyone using a vehicle you possess. That assurance is called "proof of financial responsibility." Under Ohio's Financial Responsibility (FR) Law, you have lots of options. Visit for a listing of these alternatives. For extra information, get in touch with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). The majority of drivers have one lone real choice -- to purchase liability insurance. To find out more, go to

Until 1995, you only required to verify you were insured when you were in an accident or went to court.

Then lawmakers refurbished Ohio's FR law with more a potent armory. Your insurance company is now required to give you an "insurance identification card" showing when your liability insurance coverage commences and when it terminates.

Ohio law entails you to produce your insurance I.D. card to any police officer who brings you to a halt for a traffic infringement or security test. Furthermore, you should take the card to court if you're cited for a traffic ticket or have been involved in an accident.

If you're unable to show the police officer your I.D. card or some other proof of financial responsibility, the officer will make note of that on the ticket. You will be given one more opportunity to produce proof of FR when you shell out the ticket or go to court.

If you are caught driving without FR you can run into trouble. The punishments can comprise:
  • Suspension of driver's license for at least 90 days and up to two years
  • Duress of your license plates and/or your automobile
  • Court costs
  • Non-availability of driving privileges for the period of suspension
It is imperative to keep your insurance I.D. card in your car -- the glove box may be the ideal place. Ensure everyone who drives the car knows where it is!

Ohio Auto Insurance -- Coverage system in brief
The state of Ohio follows a Tort system for auto insurance cases. Here, someone must be found to be guilty of causing the accident, that person and their insurance company being accountable for all the damages. The particulars of a tort system differing from state to state, it is best to verify with your state insurance supervisory body. Go to our State Insurance Regulators page for a listing of links to all the state insurance regulators websites.

Ohio state law calls for minimum Bodily Injury Liability coverage of $12,500 per injured person up to a total of $25,000 per accident, and Property Damage Liability coverage with a minimum ceiling of $7,500. This fundamental coverage is often referred to as 12.5/25/7.5 coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in your coverage facilitates disbursement for "reasonable and necessary" medical expenses for you and your passengers. While Ohio state law does not warrant a minimum Personal Injury Protection, some insurers present this as a discretionary coverage.

In addition, you can get Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage for any physical injury caused by an uninsured driver. While Ohio state law does not call for this coverage, you can buy this as an elective coverage for extra safeguard.

Ohio Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Get in touch with your agent or insurance company if you have a question about your policy. For further counseling, contact Consumer Services at 1-800- 686-1526.

Q: Can the department tell me if my insurance company is of good reputation?
A: The Ohio Department of Insurance cannot rate or suggest companies. What the department can tell you is only whether the company is certified to do business in Ohio. You can get information about company financial and service ratings by contacting a private rating firm such as A.M. Best Company, Fitch Investors Service, Moody's Investor Service, Standard & Poor, or Weiss Research.

Q: My HMO won't pay my claim? What can I do?
A: First, go through your policy watchfully to settle on whether your claim should be covered under the terms of your contract.

Q: I am facing a difficulty with my employer's self-funded health care plan (self-insured). Can you help?
A: The Department of Insurance has restricted powers regarding self-funded plans. We recommend you contact the U.S. Department of Labor, Office of Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration.

Q: Can the company raise my health insurance premium even if I didn't have a claim?
A: Yes, as long as the company raises the rates for everyone in the same health insurance pool that you belong to.

Q: When I bought my life insurance policy, the agent said it would be "paid up" after ten years, but it's been that long and I'm still getting bills. Why?
A: Your contract (insurance policy) may offer surefire interest rates and/or dividends the insurance company will pay on your premiums. But your premiums need to make very high earnings before they will "pay up" your policy. The company has to stick to items that are guaranteed in the contract. Promises of "paid up" life insurance are unlawful when based on non-guaranteed values. If you have credentials of the agent promising this, we may be ion a position to help you out. Documentation would consist of any writing containing the undertaking -- even a casual, handwritten note or a comparable notation by an agent can be of help.

Q: The police did not give me a ticket after a car accident, but the insurance company still raised my rates. Can they do that?
A: If the company paid any part of a claim for your accident, your premium will go up in all likelihood. The company can also increase your premium whenever it raises the rates for other drivers in the same automobile insurance grouping as you.

Q: Is there a grace period on my auto premium?
A: Not usually. Auto premiums in general have no grace period. So if your payment is late, your policy can be called off. But find out in the policy whether it lays down a grace period.

Q: I paid extra for a substitute cost rider in my homeowner's policy. My television was stolen and even though I decided not to get a new one, shouldn't I have received what it would have cost to replace it?
A: First read the rider. It may be that if you don't replace the item, the company will give you only what the item was worth when it was lost.